Monday, August 29, 2011

Serving Jesus

 It seems that lots of school boys desire to learn of God.
I know that was my feelings and I was not so odd.
My parents had me “christened”; an Anglican; that’s me!
In nineteen fifty seven, my school made this decree,
“The young men who were Anglicans would be “confirmed” that year.”
It really wasn’t optional, and to me Christ was dear.
So I had no objection to going week by week,
Down to the local vicar where after God I’d seek.
It was a time of blessing. The Lord seemed very near.
And so I went along each week for nearly half a year.
My adolescent thinking was, “I should trust the Lord”.
It gave a satisfaction than men can ill afford.
I revelled in communion. I thought “God tasted good”;
And if I kept on serving Him the way a young man should;
That He would make me prosper. That’s what God’s word had said;
And though He wasn‘t Saviour, That is the way He led.
Each Sunday I woke early. The church was far away.
But somehow I would get there, regardless, come what may.
I went to take “communion”. My Lord, I had to “taste”!
I can’t describe how good it was. I think I would have faced,
Anything the devil brought; I wouldn’t trust in man.
And to this very day I’m sure that this was all His plan.
And after I disgraced myself and had to leave my land,
I somehow hoped against all hope that this was what He planned.
But I was still a youngster. I longed to hear His word.
But thought it was incredible! Was it His voice I heard?
That happened to the prophets and not to kids like me.
That I could also hear from Him – Impossibility!
But somehow He was near me. He kept me day by day.
He was the refuge whom I sought. It was the strangest way.
I couldn’t understand it. My life was one big mess.
But when I went to church one night I knew I had been blessed.
I didn’t think it possible. How could He trust a cheat?
But in that holy place that night, my Saviour I did meet.
Since then I’ve tried to serve Him; sometimes successfully.
And in the intervening years, He’s been so good to me.
I’ve never once gone hungry. My children have been fed.
Not once have any one of them gone out to beg for bread.
I’ve had sufficient income to lend to those in need.
So I have seen these Scriptures fulfilled for me indeed.
So I have tasted Jesus and proved that He is sweet.
His bounty overwhelms me; my every need He meets.
Indeed the Lord has blessed me far more than I deserve,
And given me a deep desire my Saviour to serve.
And so for half a century, not once have I seen lack.
And I’ll keep serving Jesus Christ and cannot now turn back!
Jim Strickland – written Monday, 29 August 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment