Thursday, December 15, 2011

SONS OF THE DIVINE


Time with Jesus - Friday, 16 December 2011
Hi all,
Attached herewith, please find a copy of my latest Daily Light Meditation in rhyme and metre.
Writing about Jesus in the first person is always a problem. It suggests you have some hotline to Heaven, that enables you to do so. Is this superstition? I really can’t say. I remember the days of my youth when actors were playing the part of Jesus in various films. It always made me feel uncomfortable. How could anyone portray Jesus? Not me!
Some years later and as a fledgling poet, I found that sometimes it was necessary to put words into the mouth Jesus. How was I to avoid the charge of blasphemy? There was not and still is not an easy answer to this. All that can be done is to adhere to the dialogue in the Scripture as closely as possible and try not to include any inference that is not in the Scripture. So it is with some trepidation that I submit this poem with a prayer that if there is anything contained herein that might lead someone astray, please bear in mind I’m human and am trying to give the best interpretation I can. I’m not teaching doctrine, but presenting a possible scenario.
In the poem, I suggest that John 17, usually referred to as Jesus’ High Priestly Prayer, took place in the courtyard of the temple. There is no evidence that I know of that would support or contradict this suggestion. We know that He prayed this prayer after leaving the upper room and before crossing the Kedron. We also know that the gates of Herod’s temple included a reference to the vine. (Israel saw itself as God’s vine) It seems they had forged something from metal which was a permanent part of the gate itself.
In John 15, Jesus begins a dialogue about the vine. He says I am the true vine. It seems likely that he spoke these words while looking at the ornamental vine on the temple gates. In support of this we know that the route from the upper room to Gethsemane would have taken them past the temple.
If my conclusion is correct, the importance of the prayer takes on a deeper significance. It would be our High Priest praying for His Church in the place where He would have been expected to be before He ascended. (A building rather then in people) It would be a sort of “earthly rehearsal” of His High Priestly role in the Heavenly Tabernacle.
Some of the other words attributed to Jesus in the poem are assumptions based on what we know took place in Gethsemane. They are intended to increase the tension of the situation to our understanding. They may not be correct, but my intention is to present a scenario that seems both logical and Scriptural.
The meditation looks at the journey from the Upper Room to Gethsemane. I pray it will be beneficial to those who read it.
The verse and rhyme content from previous days can be seen on my blog – http: //jimnphyllida.blogspot.com
Please forward my poetry to others you think would enjoy it. All I ask is that it is not used for commercial purposes
Blessings
Jim & Phyllida Strickland.
PO Box 1694, Randpark Ridge, 2156, South Africa.
14 Conduit St, Jo'burg North, 2153, South Africa - Tel 011 462 4061 - Neotel 011 023 4560
Jim 082 755 8872 - Phyllida 082 574 0750 – Fax 086 531 4962

P. S. If you would like to be removed from the circulation list please return the message with the instruction "unsubscribe" I will do so as soon as possible.


Sons of the Divine

Just before the Passover, so many years ago.
I knew what would soon happen. In truth it scared me so.
It wasn’t crucifixion; I knew there would be pain.
But taking on the wickedness and all the evil stain,
Of all the consequences of mankind’s dreadful sin!
The prospect of that happening - and yet I had to win!
I had to take on Satan; I had to smash his power!
There surely was no other way for me to take the hour.
And here were My disciples looking unto Me!
No one comprehended that which soon would be.
I told them that I loved them; their feet I washed and dried.
They didn’t get the picture, no matter how they tried.
Consumed with self importance; they didn’t understand!
Vying for position - to sit at My right hand!
We celebrated Passover and Judas went his way.
“What you must do, do quickly!” Was all that could I say.
When we’d eaten supper, here are the words I said.
“Eat my broken body”; and then I broke the bread.
I took the special vessel; it’s called Messiah’s cup.
“My blood, poured out for many, drink anytime you sup.”
We quickly left the upper room and we were on our way.
My destiny was calling. I needed time to pray!
We went into the temple; the courtyard was the place.
I had to talk to Father about them face to face.
There wouldn’t be another chance to talk about the vine.
And give the reassurance that all of them were mine.
The time was quickly over, though we would all have stayed.
We crossed the Kedron Valley. Soon I would be betrayed.
The quiet of Gethsemane; with all its olive trees.
It silently was beckoning and brought me to my knees.
“O Father if it’s possible, please take this cup away.
But most of all I want Your will”, was all that I could pray.
I prayed in desperation. My tears became a flood.
In grim determination My tears were mixed with blood.
Then finally it happened. My pain was turned to peace.
I knew it was My destiny and with it came release.
I had to keep My focus on what lay just ahead.
Submission to this agony would surely raise the dead!
I knew that it was certain. The things they did to me,
Would bring the world salvation and set My people free.
Free to love each other, with a love that is like Mine,
Willingly and totally, as sons of the Divine.
Jim Strickland – Written 16th December 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment