Thursday, March 29, 2012

HIS FATHER’S SON


Time with Jesus - Friday, 30 March 2012
Hi all,
According to Mark Twain in His autobiography, “Truth is stranger than fiction; but it isn't because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.” In the light of this statement, what do we do with Jesus’ parables? Were they real stories about real people, or were they merely teachings used as illustrations to demonstrate truth by the greatest mind Who has ever lived?
It’s difficult thinking that Jesus would tell stories that were not true in real life. So were these parables the product of His fertile imagination or things that He had seen and known? We are inclined to think that they were just stories. But the fact is, what He spoke about had actually taken place somewhere. As the TV shows state, “Names have been changed to protect the identity of individuals.
We don’t have to be Jewish or Christian in order to follow His parables. Some are so well known that people are surprised they are Jesus’ parables. The Good Samaritan is a case in point. Regardless of our “religious” views, the story grips the imagination and can leave us feeling rather uncomfortable!
One of the best known parables is the Prodigal Son. The title is not really accurate because the prodigal one was the father and not the son. But was this parable a story or something that actually happened? By way of answer, if we look back over Christianity for the past two thousand years, we see it repeated regularly by men and women in every generation. The details may not be identical, but the truth comes shining through in the lives of many Christians. Men like William Wilberforce and John Newton. Women like Florence Nightingale. Hundreds, dare I say hundreds of thousands, of Christians throughout the generations? It’s true of me. What does a young man do when the bottom has fallen out of his world? It happened to me. It’s true to say that I’m a 20th century prodigal son.
Our meditation this morning contains a part of my own testimony to what God regularly does in the lives of people. I’m only one of them
Blessings
Jim & Phyllida Strickland

His Father’s Son
He sat down in the corner with his hands across his face.
The thing he’d done was silly and he was in disgrace.
His parents were so far away and he had let them down.
How could he ever tell them in that far off distant town?
He trembled with anxiety. He knew his foes were near.
With each and every passing hour he trembled in his fear.
Could he find forgiveness? How would things all turn out?
And each time that he thought of it, his mind was filled with doubt.
He felt alone and desolate. He couldn’t face the truth.
And life forever changed for him that moment in his youth.
There still was so much more to learn. He thought he knew it all.
He’d heard about the Prodigal; about his rise and fall.
He knew he had gone home again disgraced and wearing rags.
He knew that in the pig pen how much his heart could sag.
But he was far too hungry. A servant of his dad,
Was given food and clothing; a lot more than he had.
And so he set out homeward. No sandals on his feet;
Hoping that his father would give him food to eat.
He didn’t know his father. At least not how he should.
Perhaps the only thing he knew; his father was so good.
And when his father greeted him, the thing that he had done,
Was suddenly forgotten; he was his father’ son.
That young man in the corner I have to say was me.
What would my father ever say and just how would he be?
And so I went back home again, “my tail between my legs”.
I had received the poisoned cup and drained it to the dregs.
My father didn’t mention it. Just, “welcome home my lad”.
I thought that I was gob-smacked. To hear this from my dad!
It’s not what I expected. I thought He’d rant and rave.
Instead he just accepted me. I thought that he was brave.
A few short months thereafter I heard about the Lord.
I went to Him in penitence and out to Him I poured;
The truth of what had happened. But He already knew.
He said I was forgiven and told me what to do.
Learn about my Saviour and put Him in control.
He would give direction, a purpose and a goal.
And since that very moment the thing which I had done
Was swallowed up by Jesus. Now I’m His Father’s son.
Jim Strickland 
Written Friday 30th March 2012.





No comments:

Post a Comment