Sunday, May 20, 2012

A MORNING MEDITATION


Time with Jesus - Monday, 21 May 2012
Hi all,
God exceeds our expectations. In each and every field in which God and man relate, God is the dominant partner. Although this is always the case, He seldom seeks to dominate. We have a partial understanding of this. Fathers get great pleasure from seeing their children’s achievements. He is the Father of all!
Blessings
Jim & Phyllida Strickland


Time with Jesus – Monday, 21 May 2012
INTRODUCTION
DAILY LIGHT EVENING SCRIPTURES
In yesterday’s meditation we explored the reaction of Mary Magdalene. Hers was almost tangible. You can almost feel her emotion as she finally grabs Him round His feet and says “Rabboni”.
This morning I’d like to share with you something which took place in 1986. Personally, it was one of the hardest years of my life. The pace at work was increasing and this led to a nervous breakdown at the end of the year. Strangely enough, I’ve found that as the pressure of the work load builds up, God grace seems to multiply. It’s as though He compensating for what is happening in the physical world with what He is doing in the Spirit world.
Of course I can’t prove this. But as I reflect on the history of the church over 2000 years, I’m amazed at how God’s people could endure the severest forms of persecution and remain faithful to Him. I suspect Paul had this in mind when he wrote: 20 The law was given so that sin would increase. But where sin increased, God's grace increased even more. Romans 5:20 NIrV
In those days I would get up early in the morning and spend time with Him. I’ve always believed that you can only get to know someone by spending time with that person. It’s particularly true when seeking to know more of Jesus. John tells us Jesus said, 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. John 15:7 TNIV
This verse is usually believed to be referring to physical things; a new car, a washing machine, a better job. No doubt it does. But it occurred to me that if someone wanted to dialog with Jesus, a good place to start would be by asking Him questions. There is a major difference between asking God questions and questioning God. It’s His desire to talk with us. So if we ask Him about walking with Him in obedience, we can expect Him to answer. It may not be good doctrine, but I’ve found that God is more willing to talk with us than we will ever understand.
I’d been “dialoguing” with Him for some months. The results were never spectacular, but always encouraging. So it was that on this occasion I wrote out my questions to God. Something I still do when I can. That morning, I received an extraordinary answer. The questions in prayer and His answer is the subject of today’s meditation. At the time I suppose I was a bit like Thomas in John 20:28 But as I went deeper into praise and worship, suddenly the light in my heart went on. It felt as though His presence was with me. His answer “blew me away”. It still does. As a result I was able to endure to the end. Sure, there were many trials. There still are. But these promises have helped me keep going!
Jim & Phyllida Strickland
7 Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ. 8 He will keep you strong to the end so that you will be free from all blame on the day when our Lord Jesus Christ returns. 9 God will do this, for He is faithful to do what He says, and He has invited you into partnership with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
1 Corinthians 1:7-9 NLT
21 She will give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus [He Saves], because he will save his people from their sins."
Matthew 1:21 GW
8 He humbled Himself in obedience to God and died a criminal's death on a cross. 9 Therefore, God elevated Him to the place of highest honour and gave Him the name above all other names, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2:8-11 NLT
25 The woman said to him, "I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things."
John 4:25 ESV
1 The Spirit of GOD, the Master, is on me because GOD anointed me. He sent me to preach good news to the poor, heal the heartbroken, Announce freedom to all captives, and pardon all prisoners.
Isaiah 61:1 MSG
45 We follow this sequence in Scripture: The First Adam received life, the Last Adam is a life-giving Spirit. 46 Physical life comes first, then spiritual-- 47 a firm base shaped from the earth, a final completion coming out of heaven.
1 Corinthians 15:45-47 MSG
26 A week later Jesus' disciples were again in the house and Thomas was with them. Even though the doors were locked, Jesus stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" 27 Then Jesus said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Take your hand, and put it into my side. Stop doubting, and believe." 28 Thomas responded to Jesus, "My Lord and my God!"
John 20:26-28 GW
13 You call Me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and you are right, because that's what I am. 14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other's feet. 1`5 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you.
John 13:13-15 NLT
PRAYER:
For all that I am feeling; for the clouds up in the sky;
For the chill of coming winter; for the fact that I will die;
For the knowledge of time passing; for the mystery of age;
For the going into battle; for the warfare we must wage;
For these things most blessed Father that will happen to us all;
Lord I lift my hands in worship and my Lord to You I call.
You're the touch of golden sunshine on a bitter winter's day.
You're a soft and gentle raindrop after clouds have passed away.
You're the shade of welcome shadow in the scorching midday heat.
You're a banquet of contentment when there's nothing we can eat.
It is true most blessed Jesus; You provide eternally,
And I lift my heart to listen to what You would say to me.
You are better than the answer to a lonely maiden's prayer.
You provide all we are needing through the wonder of Your care.
You delight us with Your presence in an empty, lonely room.
You have shown You are Almighty, raising Jesus from the tomb.
So I greet You Holy Spirit and give thanks that You abide;
In this world of joys and sorrows You are ever by my side!
God the Father; Holy Spirit; Blessed Jesus; God the Son;
God the Counsellor, Almighty, ruling all You've made and done;
God the Triune; God the Lovely; God the Saviour; God the King;
God the bringer to repentance; God the Lord of everything;
Lord I come in expectation and bring praises to Your Name;
Listen to Your voice a speaking and which always is the same.
ANSWER:
Saying, "Come to Me my servant; come to Me and be My friend.
I will lead you and I'll guide you ever more unto the end.
I will bless you if you'll follow and will do what I command.
I will take you into Canaan for it is your promised land.
For I love you and I change not; you are Mine forevermore,
Be ye comforted and know that I have everything in store.
Be ye trusting in the knowledge I am always in control,
With assurance in your spirit that My Son has made you whole.
So be confident and valiant; lean heavily on Me;
I'll provide what you are needing; stop and look around and see.
Were you ever disappointed in the things that I have done;
Through My precious Holy Spirit in the Name of Christ My Son?
For you'll find in Me contentment, be ye young or be ye old;
There's delight for those who follow to the safety of My fold.
There’s healing and forgiveness in this world of sin and pain;
If you'll trust and honour Me, I'll cleanse your guilty stain!
For I'm the One Who loves you. I'm Jehovah; Adonai;
Elohim; The God of plenty; Everlasting; El-Shaddei!"
Jim Strickland – Written 1986

No comments:

Post a Comment