Tuesday, June 19, 2012

SLEEP IN SAFETY


Time with Jesus - Wednesday, 20 June 2012
Hi all,
Today’s meditation is my version of Psalm 91. It’s been rephrased into rhyme and metre. A short poem of Thanksgiving for sleep is also included.
Blessings
Jim & Phyllida Strickland

Matt 10:8
Freely you received, Freely give
Time with Jesus – Wednesday, 20 June 2012
Matt 10:8
Freely you received, Freely give
©
These devotionals are the intellectual property of Jim Strickland and copyright protected. You are welcome to copy and distribute them to anyone provided it is for non-commercial Christian purposes
©
INTRODUCTION
DAILY LIGHT EVENING SCRIPTURES
SLEEP IN SAFETY
I think I’ve mentioned it before. If not, please be aware that I don’t know Hebrew or Greek. I’ve picked up the odd word or two, but not enough to do any damage. When necessary, I’ve looked at Strong’s numbers and they’ve been very helpful. (Obtainable for free www.e-sword.net )
This means, that for a number of years, I was under the misapprehension that Hebrew poetry and English poetry, are the same. They are not. Hebrew poetry is not written in rhyme and metre. It has a different construction, some of which comes through in the translation. This is not the place to go into the differences, Sufficient to say that in the Bible, where we see similar statements repeated in a different way, we can be reasonably certain that the translators have followed the Hebrew style.
When I found this out, I felt a bit disappointed. It means that my insistence on rhyme and metre is an English trait rather than the way the Psalmists wrote. In spite of this, I have tried to express some of the Psalms in rhyme and metre. The challenge with this is trying to squeeze into English poetry the content of the various verses. It usually takes much longer and involves a certain amount of head scratching.
Today I’ve included my “version” of Psalm 91. Originally attributed to Moses, this is one of the most “powerful” Psalms in the Psalter and a favourite in Pentecostal circles. I remember when I first met Phyllida; her eldest son was in the army, on the border. We were a bit nervous back then in 1981. We prayed this Psalm together, asking the Lord for His protection. He came home safely and was able to “give his mother away” at our wedding! (Thank you Stu)
Two things usually go together when we are worried. I know we shouldn’t worry. But we do. Worry usually goes jointly with not being able to sleep. Yes, I know it’s silly and shows a lack of confidence in the Lord. But we still do it. Actually, sound sleep is a gift from the Lord. Proverbs tells us that wisdom and discretion are foundational for sweet sleep. But these qualities come from God. As it states in Proverbs; 24 If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 ESV If you take the time to read Proverbs 3 you can see a number of “echoes” from Psalm 91. No doubt the writer – perhaps Solomon – picked up these threads from Moses’ Psalm?
Sleep is a blessing. It’s something about which we should give thanks to God. Most of us forget to do it. It becomes another blessing we overlook in our prayers. Some years ago I wrote a short four line poem of thanksgiving for the blessing of sleep. I’ve included it here to underline Psalm 91. If He’s protecting you, thank Him for your sleep. Counting blessings is better than counting sheep!  Good night! – sweet dreams!
Jim & Phyllida Strickland
3 You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do.
Psalms 139:3 NLT
16 Jacob woke up from his sleep. He said, "GOD is in this place--truly. And I didn't even know it!" 17 He was terrified. He whispered in awe, "Incredible. Wonderful. Holy. This is God's House. This is the Gate of Heaven."
Genesis 28:16-17 MSG
9 The eyes of the LORD search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him. What a fool you have been! From now on you will be at war."
2 Chronicles 16:9 NLT
8 I fall asleep in peace the moment I lie down because you alone, O LORD, enable me to live securely.
Psalm 4:8 GW
9 If you make the LORD your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, 10 no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home. 11 For He will order His angels to protect you wherever you go.
Psalms 91:9-11 NLT
24 When you lie down, you won't be afraid. When you lie down, you will sleep soundly.
Proverbs 3:24 NIrV
2 It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Psalms 127:2 ESV
Psalm 91
1              Dwelling in the Shadow of the Sovereign Lord Most High
                Shows you are abiding with Him Who’s Almighty.
2              Surely You’re my fortress; in You I’ll always trust;
                This is my confession, “The Lord is true and just.”
3              Assuredly He’ll save you from the fowler’s deadly snare!
                The lethal pestilence may call and find you are not there!
4              His pinions will cover you; You’re underneath His wings.
                His faithful shield and buckler; a refuge He will bring.
5              You need not be in terror of that which comes at night.
                The arrows in the daytime will not put you to flight.
6              Don‘t fear the stalking pestilence that strikes when it is dark,
                The wasting noon destruction you’ll think is just a lark.
7              A thousand may confront you; Ten thousand may join in.
                But they will not draw near you. They all know you will win.
8              Your eyes will see the wicked, they’ll get just what is due;
                The recompense for everything which they have tried to do.
9              Because you’ve made the Lord Most High, the place in which    you dwell;
                He will be your refuge far more than words can tell.
10            No evil will come near you, no plague come near your tent
11            His angels; they will guard you, for that’s why they were sent!
12            They’ll bear you up upon their hands, ensuring you won’t slip;
                In case you stumble on a stone or accidentally trip.
13            The lion and the adder will be underneath your feet.
                The serpent and young lion by you will both be beat.
14            He will deliver all of those who hold fast in His love;
                He’ll certainly protect those who know Him high above.
15            When he calls I’ll answer him. He needn’t be afraid.
                I’ll rescue and will honour him. In trouble, I’m his aid!
16            With long life he’ll be satisfied; salvation he will know.
                These are the promises I make to those who dwell below.

THANKS FOR SLEEP
Thank You Father; I have slept, right throughout the night.
Thank You that I feel refreshed, cheerful, clean and bright!
Thank You for the blessed fact of rest when we are tired.
Thank You that You satisfy far more than man's desired!
Jim Strickland – Written 20th June 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment