Sunday, November 4, 2012

JIMMETS – MAN’S PEACE - MY PEACE


Time with Jesus - Sunday, 04 November 2012

Hi all,
Today we take a final look at Isaiah 9:6. The Scripture is Prince of Peace. To help distinguish between the world’s peace and divine peace, I’ve compiled two Jimmets. One is entitled, “Man’s Peace” and the other is entitled “My Peace”. The difference is very significant.
Blessings,
Jim & Phyllida Strickland
Matt 10:8
Freely you received, Freely give
Time with Jesus – Sunday, 04 November 2012
Matt 10:8
Freely you received, Freely give

©
These devotionals are the intellectual property of Jim Strickland and copyright protected. You are welcome to copy and distribute them to anyone provided it is for non-commercial Christian purposes
©

INTRODUCTION
DAILY LIGHT EVENING SCRIPTURES
JIMMETS – MAN’S PEACE - MY PEACE
Choruses. We all remember them from long ago. I remember singing, “I’ve got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy down in my heart”. I sang it with the other youngsters back in the early 1960’s. It was very popular. One of the reasons was we could include our own words in place of “Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy”. A popular addition was “the guarantee of His salvation”. Mine was, “the peace that passes understanding”. We would sing it with great gusto. Sadly, on reflection, I’m forced to the conclusion that the words were from my head and not my heart. But when you are in your early 20’s who knows the difference? I certainly didn’t. How do you recognise “the peace that passes understanding?” Sure it was on several bumper stickers but what did it mean? The fact is if we don’t know, it truly passes understanding; mine and yours!
It seems a terrible thing to say, but most Christians are basically dishonest! We would sing about peace in our hearts. But what were we singing? Did we or didn’t we? Most of us would have vehemently said we have “it” and wouldn’t admit we didn’t. After all, as a Christian, it should be true. Furthermore we would rather die than say anything to the contrary. Twenty years later this was taken to a new level of dishonesty by the statement, “fake it till you make it”! Most of us did, for fear of making a “negative confession”. I remember in 1981, while going through a terrible divorce, people would ask me how things were going at home. I would put on a somewhat forced grin and say, “Fine, just fine”. It was an out and out lie! Things at home were not fine. They were unbelievably horrible. But I didn’t dare say that. It would have been a negative confession and that was forbidden. There was a feeling going round that to say the wrong thing, invited Satan to destroy you. But he already had! Saying so would at least have been truthful.
What then is this “peace”? John Wesley tells us a little about it. He was crossing the Atlantic and a huge storm arose. The people on board were terrified. All except a family of Moravian missionaries. When he asked them why, they told Him that they were in God’s hands and whatever happened He would be with them. Wesley was “gob-smacked”. They had peace and he didn’t!
Today we are surrounded by Christian men and women who don’t realise that peace is not an emotion. It’s supernatural. It is knowledge, based on Scripture that “It is well. It is well with my soul!” Do you have it? Do I have it? Does anyone have it? The answer is a definite “yes”. But it’s not based on me or how I feel. Often I don’t think I do have it. But when I take time alone with God’s Word in a quiet place, suddenly He becomes “real” in a special way. That’s His peace touching you and me.
Jim & Phyllida Strickland
6 For a Child is born to us, a Son is given to us. The government will rest on His shoulders. And He will be called: Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6 NLT
2 He will judge your people in righteousness, your afflicted ones with justice. 3 The mountains will bring prosperity to the people, the hills the fruit of righteousness.
Psalms 72:2-3 NIV
6 He will be like rain falling on a mown field, like showers watering the earth. 7 In his days the righteous will flourish; prosperity will abound till the moon is no more.
Psalms 72:6-7 NIV
14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Luke 2:14 MKJV
78 Because of God's tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us, 79 to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace."
Luke 1:78-79 NLT
36 As for the word that he sent to Israel, preaching good news of peace through Jesus Christ (he is Lord of all),
Acts 10:36 ESV
33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
John 16:33 ESV
27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
John 14:27 ESV
7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7 ESV

MAN’S PEACE

What do people understand by “peace”?
A word that tells them that there is no war?
That inter-human conflicts are deceased,
And man won’t kill his brother anymore?
The dis-United Nations seem to think;
That if the nations put away their arms;
Quicker than the fastest eye can blink
It will be the end of all the harms,
We inflict on others every day!
Sorry, but they have the whole thing wrong.
Wickedness is in our hearts to stay,
And power’s always hijacked by the strong.
Pretty speeches never have sufficed.
Peace will only come in Jesus Christ.
Jim Strickland
Written 4 Nov. 2012


MY PEACE
In the upper room that fateful night,
Jesus said, “My peace I give to you.
There will be no need for you to fight,
In the way that worldly people do.
Peace is only ever found in Me.
Peace that tribulation can’t prevent.
Peace which I bestow eternally.
Peace that can’t be shaken bowed or bent.
Peace that, come what may, you can endure.
Peace with God! That is what I bestow.
Peace to help you realise for sure,
You are someone I will always know.
Persecution is a certainty.
But My peace will always be on thee”

Jim Strickland
Written 4 Nov 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment