Saturday, January 12, 2013

SPEAK HONESTLY


Time with Jesus - Sunday, 13 January 2013

Hi all,
One of the hardest things to be in life is honest. Most people we meet, even in the Christian world, are not honest with each other. The story goes of a little boy who went home from church and asked his father, the Pastor. “Daddy, the story you told today. Was it true or were you only preaching?” Another expression is, “Evangelastically speaking”. We tend to overemphasize for effect; to impress others. Today’s meditation looks at our integrity and encourages us to tell it as it is.
Blessings,
Jim & Phyllida Strickland

Matt 10:8
Freely you received, Freely give
Time with Jesus – Sunday, 13 January 2013
Matt 10:8
Freely you received, Freely give
©
These devotionals are the intellectual property of Jim Strickland and copyright protected. You are welcome to copy and distribute them to anyone provided it is for non-commercial Christian purposes
©
INTRODUCTION
DAILY LIGHT EVENING SCRIPTURES
Speak Honestly
The year was 1950. I was in Std. 1 (Grade 3) in Marist Brothers in Bird Street, Port Elizabeth. I don’t remember many of the details. One incident stands out. The teacher was busy with an English lesson. She was telling us the difference between a Deer and Dear. Her technique was not subtle. She would point to an animal and the class would respond with “D.E.E.R”. Then she would point to a person and we would respond “D.E.A.R”. We had to keep focussed or we would mistakenly put in the A for an E. On that occasion, I got the letter wrong. Don’t ask me why. All I know was, I got it wrong. “Who said that?” she thundered. I felt so ashamed and intimidated, I kept silent. She then asked the class to tell her who it was. They didn’t. She then said, “I think it was you!” looking at me. “Was it you?” By then I was so terrified I still didn’t reply. I was told to go and stand outside the classroom. I stayed outside until break-time.
It was the very first time I was caught lying. I’ll never forget it. But it taught me a lesson which I began to apply in later life.
Mom used to say, “Speak the truth and shame the devil!” I’m not sure where she got it from and I’m not certain if it’s Biblical. However it has a huge impact on the situation.
In the late 1980’s while working for Eskom, I had a boss who was a bit of a fussy old man. If we arrived late for work he would say, “You’re Late!” He would then stand looking at you, waiting for some lame excuse. Most people would mutter some excuse or other. It was what always happened. However, I’d just been to a seminar where we had been taught, 25 "Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison”. Matt. 5:25 NIV
The boss, said to me, “You’re late!” My answer was, “Yes, I’m late. I’m sorry!” The reaction was amazing. It was a bit like putting a small hole in a balloon. He looked astonished. It was a statement of fact. No excuses. I was late. Ever since, I’ve made a point of owning up to anything I’ve done. It’s also so liberating. Not having to go and stand outside the classroom door! On one occasion I’d put up a “No Smoking” sign in the office where we had our meetings with the client. Suddenly the very big boss, a heavy smoker, came in and demanded to know, “Who put up that sign?” I immediately put up my hand and said, “I did!” The man looked at me and said nothing more! No questions and no recriminations. Those words of Jesus, “Agree with your adversary quickly” are so important. I’ve never known them fail! But then, God’s words never fail! So as Christians let’s stop “ducking and diving”. Trust the Lord, speak the truth and shame the devil.
Jim & Phyllida Strickland
26 Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry--but don't use your anger as fuel for revenge. And don't stay angry. Don't go to bed angry.
Eph. 4:26 MSG
15 "If your brother sins against you, go to him. Tell him what he did wrong. Keep it between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won him back.
Mat 18:15 NIrV
21 Peter came to Jesus. He asked, "Lord, how many times should I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" 22 Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but 77 times.
Mat 18:21-22 NIrV
25 "Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions.
Mar 11:24-26 NASB
12 Since God chose you to be the holy people He loves, you must clothe yourselves with tender-hearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. 13 Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others
Col 3:12-13 NLT
32 Instead, be kind to each other, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
Eph. 4:32 NLT
5 The apostles said to the Lord, "Show us how to increase our faith
Luke 17:5-6 NLT
The very hardest thing a man will ever, ever do,
Is tell you, “I am sorry for what I have done to you.”
Such statements are so difficult. They stick right in the craw.
It’s utterly belittling and leaves you feeling raw.
It’s terribly embarrassing, if you are always right.
Some folk get so angry; they get into a fight.
Facts become irrelevant; “I am not ever wrong!
Those who don’t agree with me will soon be dead and gone!”
I know that you have met one. He may not go to war.
But if you disagree with him, you’ll soon be feeling sore.
The very worst offenders, come from the world of men.
They hunger after power; and when they get it, then
They strut like Mussolini and proclaim that they are grand.
Claiming they’re the very best of all throughout the land.
Ladies aren’t much better; They don’t have the physique,
To overpower the menfolk and so the words they speak,
Are scented with a perfume, that seductively allures,
So other folk will listen, to their subtle overtures.
The reason all this happens, originates in pride.
It doesn’t really matter if I’ve schemed or if I’ve lied.
Those who have the power are invariably right.
Even if at midday, they say that it is night!
Does this make you angry? I rather think it should.
If something is evil, don’t say that it is good!
It’s a step we take along the road of compromise,
Seeking for acceptance in everybody’s eyes.
But there’s a solution to this problem Oh so grave.
A quality decision you are going to behave,
In a way that’s honest, not politically correct,
But factual, authentic and worthy of respect.
If you have done something and someone says to you,
Tell me if you did it”, admit that it is true.
Do not be deceitful. Be open and sincere.
If you try to hide it, the facts will soon appear.
You’ll be called a liar, a lawless jackanapes.
Impudent and selfish, seeking to escape,
From the consequences of what you’ve surely done.
A total contradiction of God’s One and Only Son.
Jim Strickland
Written
13th January 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment