Monday, January 21, 2013

TODAY’S SCRIPTURES IN VERSE


Time with Jesus - Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Hi all,
Today’s meditation is all twelve Scriptures expressed in verse. It was easier than trying to find a thread to write about. My “favourite” today comes from Psalm 63:5-6. You satisfy my longing, with the richest, finest fare. / When lying on my bed at night, I’m sure that You are there! The idea of “day-dreaming” all night about the Lord appeals to me.
Blessings,
Jim & Phyllida Strickland
Matt 10:8
Freely you received, Freely give
Time with Jesus – Tuesday, 22 January 2013
Matt 10:8
Freely you received, Freely give
©
These devotionals are the intellectual property of Jim Strickland and copyright protected. You are welcome to copy and distribute them to anyone provided it is for non-commercial Christian purposes
©
INTRODUCTION
DAILY LIGHT EVENING SCRIPTURES
Today’s Scriptures in Verse
There are a couple of things from childhood that really stand out. One was picture books which “stood up” when the book was opened. Then there was “connect the dots”. It was great fun. At first, the page looked like a serious case of chickenpox with spots all over. The main difference was that by connecting the dots with a pencil, a picture emerged. It wasn’t much of a picture. Picasso can sleep comfortably in his grave! I’m not seeking to depose the artist in any way. Apart from some of his “modern art” stuff. One thing in its favour. It looks a mess regardless which way you hold it. There’s a lesson somewhere in that!
The connection with today’s meditation, is that there are 12 Scriptures to connect up in poetry (doggerel for those who prefer). Trying to find a thread is as difficult as it was last year. It’s easier to try and put each verse into poetry. So that’s what I’ve done.
There are twelve Scripture references. I’ve tied them all up in glorious Microsoft colour. I’ve put a number in green in the verses column. The verses are identified with the same number in green in the rhyme and metre column. It’s a challenge to express each verse of Scripture this way. The Scripture contains far more than I can put into verse and rhyme. This means that in some instances, the verses don’t do justice to the Scripture content.
Note that the metre for the verses is not the same. There is a change as from No 6. This may be a bit confusing. Also, in order to make sense of Matt 9:22 I’ve added information, not mentioned in the Scripture quoted, but can be found in the Scriptures themselves.
I’m always thrilled when I read about this miracle that Jesus performed, when the woman touched His clothes. Exactly where the point of contact was, is not clear. But I have a sort of suspicion that it was His tallit. For Christians who are unfamiliar with this “garment”, it’s a bit like a large square shawl, with tassels round the periphery. It’s worn round the neck and, on occasions, in prayer over the head. John Hagee calls it a “portable one man tabernacle”. It’s actually a Jewish prayer shawl and it’s beautiful. Phyllida and I both have one. Sadly there are not many occasions for us to wear them.
We suspect that the woman came and touched one of these tassels. We don’t know which one. We also don’t know the significance of each tassel. We know that two of them represented God. So in a way, touching one of the tassels on Jesus’ tallit, would be to contact Jesus and His Father directly. Charismatics have done a great job of getting rid of ritualism in dress and worship. Sadly, on occasions, it seems we have thrown out the baby with the bath water.
Jim & Phyllida Strickland
19 I was very worried. But your comfort brought joy to my heart.
Psalm 94:19 NIrV (1)
I said my foot was slipping.  (1)
  I thought that I would fall.
I was also worried but,
  He answered when I called.

No matter where I go to; (2)
  When my heart is full of fear.
The Lord God is my Master;
  Like a rock Who’s ever near!

I chirped like a swallow. (3)
  And cooed, like a dove.
I looked to the heaven,
  In search of Your Love.
I suffered severely,
  My hope was all gone.
But you gave the power,
  To keep going on.

Give Jesus you burdens. (4)
  He’ll carry your load.
You won’t come to ruin.
  With Him on your road.

It’s hard to believe it, (5)
   You’ve made me the king.
And unlike my father,
   I don’t know a thing.
Lord, how can I do it?
  I’m only a child.
My duties are many,
  On me, they are piled.
King David could do it.
  He trusted in You.
But I’ll never manage;
  Please! What must I do?

If you’re needing wisdom, (6)
  Then speak to Jesus first.
He always gives it freely,
  And slakes the deepest thirst.
To everyone who’s perishing, (7)
  The Gospel stinks of death.
For those who’ve found salvation,
  There’s life in every breath.

There’s nothing good within me. (8)
  My flesh is like a grave.
I want to do the right thing.
  But I cannot behave.

My grace is quite sufficient; (9)
  My power is for the weak.
And so I boast in weaknesses,
  And for the Lord I seek.
For that’s when I’m made perfect,
  And Christ is at His best;
And on His humble servant,
  His Spirit comes to rest.

Your sins have been forgiven; (10)
  That’s what the man was told.
Your faith has been rewarded;
  So stand up and be bold.

The woman came to Jesus; (11)
  And touched His tasselled clothes.
He felt the virtue leave Him.
  Correctly, He supposed,
That someone received healing;
  But which one in the mob?
And so He asked the question,
  Who touched me? Then a sob,
Came from the ailing woman.
  My Master it was me.
Take heart He said, My daughter,
  Your faith has set you free.

You satisfy my longing, (12)
  With The richest, finest fare.
When lying on my bed at night,
  I’m sure that You are there!
2 From the ends of the earth, I cry to You for help when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the towering rock of safety
Psalm 61:2 NLT  (2)
14 I chirped like swallows and cranes. I cooed like doves. My eyes were tired from looking up to heaven. I've suffered miserably, O Lord! Please help me!
Isaiah 38:14 GW  (3)
22 Pile your troubles on God’s shoulders-- he'll carry your load, he'll help you out. He'll never let good people topple into ruin.
Psalm  55:22 MSG  (4)
7 "LORD my God, you have now made me king. You have put me in the place of my father David. But I'm only a little child. I don't know how to carry out my duties.
1 Kings 3:7 NIrV  (5)
5 If any of you need wisdom, ask God for it. He will give it to you. God gives freely to everyone. He doesn't find fault.
James 1:5 NIrV  (6)
16 To those who are perishing, we are a dreadful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved, we are a life-giving perfume. And who is adequate for such a task as this?
2 Cor 2:16 NLT  (7)
18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.
Rom 7:18 ESV  (8)
9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Cor 12:9 ESV  (9)
2 Some men brought to him a paralysed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, "Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.
Mat 9:2 TNIV  (10)
22 Jesus turned and saw her. "Take heart, daughter," he said, "your faith has healed you." And the woman was healed from that moment.
Mat 9:22 TNIV  (11)
5 You satisfy my soul with the richest foods. My mouth will sing your praise with joyful lips. 6 As I lie on my bed, I remember you. Through the long hours of the night, I think about you.
Psalm 63:5-6 GW  (12)
Jim Strickland – Written 22nd January 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment