Thursday, May 2, 2013

WALKING NOT TALKING


Time with Jesus - Friday, 03 May 2013

Hi all,
Eight limericks today; a bit of a break! The content focuses on the Christian lifestyle. Christianity is a walk and not a talk. Remember the old chorus we used to sing? “They know we are Christian by our love”. I remember singing it in England in the 1960’s and in Canada in the 1970’s.
Singing choruses reminds me of a story I heard some years ago. It featured round the singing of “He walks with me and He Talks with me! It was sung as a solo that evening by a very talented young lady. She had a beautiful singing voice and was in much demand to sing in various churches. 
On this particular occasion, there was a young man in the congregation who was deeply committed to Jesus. He listened carefully to what the lady sang. He was entranced and delighted with what he heard. After the service that evening he approached her and asked her, “What did He say?” She was a bit puzzled and he asked her, “If He walks and talks with you, what does He say?” He was very disappointed when she told him she was only singing a song!
Sadly tales of this nature are all too real. I remember in my early days when I attended Charismatic church meetings, I would hear a word of prophecy. I thought I was hearing the words of God Himself. When I learned a few more things and found how fallible we all are, I learned to listen carefully to hear the instructions. Some of the “stuff” was rubbish! How do I know? Because, to my shame, I’ve been there and done it. 
At times I’d like to go back to those days of innocence and simplicity. We can’t. When innocence is lost, it can never be recovered. As a child, I believed in Father Christmas. My disappointment when I learned the truth, took me close to heartbreak. My innocence in that area had gone. It could never be recovered.
On occasions I’ve wondered what it would be like to live in a world where only facts are stated. We think it would be marvellous. I have my doubts. Generally speaking, men and women, including Christians, tend to be “economical with truth” when speaking. Many of us exaggerate for effect. Like the little boy who said to his father, the minister of the local church after the service. “Daddy were you telling the truth in your sermon today, or were you only preaching”! The comment cuts us to the quick. The trouble is, it’s so often true.

Today in our meditation we go back to Christian speech and behaviour. We should practise what we preach and preach what we practise. Do we? Don’t answer me, take the question to Jesus and ask Him.
Shalom,
Jim & Phyllida Strickland

Time with Jesus – Friday, 03 May 2013
©
These devotionals are the intellectual property of Jim Strickland and copyright protected. You are welcome to copy and distribute them to anyone provided it is for non-commercial Christian purposes
©
INTRODUCTION
DAILY LIGHT EVENING SCRIPTURES
WALKING NOT TALKING
Eight Scriptures today. So I thought eight “limericks” would be a great idea. It makes a bit of a change for all of us. This style is not as easy as it looks. It’s actually two lines with eight “beats” to each line. The first line is straight forward. Then it gets complicated. Two short “phrases” of two beats which rhyme with each other. Then the final “phrase” of four. Very often the construction is thought to be two lines of seven. A closer look shows that for rhyme and verse purposes, they are in fact two lines of eight beats.
Jesus’ words in Matthew 5 have challenged me repeatedly over the past fifty years. There is a little statement in English which says, “children should be seen and not heard”. My dad said this on several occasions! It was his way of telling me to “shut up”! When he said them, invariably he was looking at me. I understood.
As a Christian I’ve found a much better application. “Christians should be seen and not heard!” This has come about as a result of our misunderstanding of what it is to be a witness.
We are encouraged to tell as many people as possible as soon as possible that we have become a Christian. “I’ve been saved!” is how we are told to put it. But this is not what Jesus meant when he told us to be a witness. Basically, a witness doesn’t volunteer information. A witness answers questions.
Jesus told us to let our light shine, not let our tongues wag. If a person is a Christian it should be visible. A witness is seen. He doesn’t need to say anything. His light shines for all to see. Then, when people want to know why you are different, they will ask you. That’s the time to speak out. St Francis of Assisi told his disciples, “Go into the world and preach the gospel. Speak only if you have to!” I like these instructions. We should tell new Christians they should be recognised by their lifestyle.
We are told, “Actions speak louder than words”. If you are really following Jesus Christ you will be walking in the opposite direction to the world. It won’t be long before you are seen and known to be Christian. Your words will follow your actions. I get irritated when a celebrity is converted to Christ and is then asked to speak about Christianity. Very often their testimony is a disaster. It damages God’s Kingdom.
Sadly, few people are “discipled” when they come to Jesus. As a result, there is no change in lifestyle. Are such people genuine Christians? I’m glad that He is the only One who knows.
It’s an interesting truth that if you play rugby for the “Sharks”, you’ll look like a “Shark”. You don’t hear of people walking the streets saying, “I’m a “Shark”. (Unless they play for the Bulls) They don’t have to say anything. Go and watch the next game. The team will appear dressed like “Sharks”. Go DO likewise!
Jim & Phyllida Strickland
1 Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.
2 Corinthians 7:1 TNIV
1
Since we’ve been given the Promise, friends let us now purify,
       All of our stains.        
1        
       Our sickness and pains,
In reverence to God Most High!
Let us leave nothing outstanding, in spirit and body and soul.
       Free to obey,
       The Lord everyday;
With holiness over the whole!
Lord God my greatest desire is writing your truth on my heart.
       Father I plead,        
2
       For the wisdom I need.
Cause my instruction to start!
Father You’ve shown very clearly, that wisdom is what You desire.
       Deep down within,
       Is where to begin.
Light up my heart with Your fire!
Burn out my ungodly passions, that Godliness smoulders within.
       Help me say No!      
       To the way man would go.
3
Tear out my longing for sin!
Let self-control be the standard for which I now constantly strive.
       Help me say “No!”
       To the ungodly flow,
That surely will burn me alive.
Help me to shine like a beacon, so everyone clearly can see,
       The things that I do, 
4
       Are directed by You;
When people are looking at me.
Make me a living example who speaks up as clear as a bell!
       A flickering flame      
       In Jesus’ Name.
Could send many people to hell.
Please help me live like a Christian not by the sound of my word.
       Help people see
       You are living in me.
Let me be seen and not heard!
I’ve not succeeded already; I’ve still a long way to go.
       And I will try 
5     
       As time passes by
My Saviour far better to know!
Nothing will get me diverted, from this my ultimate quest.
       With heart and soul,
       I’ll get to my goal,
Before I am laid out to rest!
We are now all at the ready, to welcome the soon-coming King.
       We anticipate,         
6
       That wonderful date,
When all of creation will sing;
Praises to Jesus our Saviour, the Son of our Almighty Lord.
       The standard He set,
       We cannot forget.
We model our life by His Word.
We yearn for the heavenly bodies that someday we all will receive.
       These ones which decay,
       We’ll “put off” one day.        
7
This fact we all firmly believe.
How do we know this will happen? He’s given us His guarantee.
       These bodies of sin
       Will be all “handed in!”
His Spirit confirms this will be.
Jesus gave gifts to His people, Apostles and Evangelists;
       Pastors who Teach;    
8
       Prophets who preach,
The body of Christ to assist!
We have to grow as a people, to where we are seen to be one.
       Our knowledge must be
       Shown in faith constantly;
Till all our divisions are gone.
The standard He’s given is Jesus; perfect in every way.
       He wants to be sure,
       We’re completely mature,
In all we are doing each day!
6 I know that you want truth to be in my heart. You teach me wisdom deep down inside me.
Psalm 51:6 NIrV
2
12 It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, & to live self-controlled, upright & godly lives in this present age,
Titus 2:12 TNIV
3
16 "In the same way, let your light shine in front of others. Then they will see the good things you do. And they will praise your Father who is in heaven.
Matthew 5:16 NIrV
4
12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.
Philippians 3:12 ESV
5
3 All of us who look forward to his Coming stay ready, with the glistening purity of Jesus' life as a model for our own.
1 John 3:3 MSG
6
5 He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
2 Corinthians 5:5 ESV
7
11 Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. 12 Their responsibility is to equip God's people to do His work and build up the church, the body of Christ. 13 This will continue until we all come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God's Son that we will be mature in the Lord, measuring up to the full and complete standard of Christ.
Ephesians 4:11-13 NLT
8
Jim Strickland – Written 3rd May 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment