Sunday, December 15, 2013

OCCUPY TILL I COME

Time with Jesus -16 Dec 2013

Hi all,
Over the past several days, South Africa has been saying farewell to one of Africa’s greatest sons. Some would go further and speak of this world’s greatest sons. 
He was brought up in the Methodist tradition, although he was reluctant to state this. It is always difficult for the leader of any nation to express leanings toward any religion. Taking “religious sides” while in a public office is difficult because of the need to be seen as impartial.

Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela [18 July 1918 to 5 December 2013 (aged 95)] has been compared with the likes of Ghandi, Churchill, George Washington and other giants of history. Personally, I have no fight with this type of acknowledgment. He stated on a number of occasions that he was not God and didn’t want to be remembered that way. At the same time, thinking back over the past 40-50 years, it is fitting to acknowledge that, in a unique way, he has succeeded in doing what most of us thought was impossible.

It is my firm belief that God raises up certain men and women at certain times to achieve great things. Things that He knew in advance would take place. Men like George Washington who led America to freedom; Ghandi who led India to Independence; 
Churchill who led Britain to victory against the Nazi’s; this, in spite of the darkest of dark days. Days when most of the rest of the world were convinced that Hitler would soon overwhelm them.
Why is it most of us find it hard to believe that the hand of God leads men all over the world regardless of their religion? e.g. Many years before he was born, the prophet Isaiah spoke of a man God would raise up for a specific purpose. He would be the Persian King. 
Cyrus the Great would allow many of the Jews to return to Judea in order to rebuild Jerusalem and their temple. Isaiah prophesied, 22 When I say of Cyrus, 'He is My shepherd,' he will certainly do as I say. He will command, 'Rebuild Jerusalem'; he will say, 'Restore the Temple.'" Isaiah 44:28 NLT Isaiah wrote this hundreds of years before the fall of Jerusalem in 586AD.
Men and women today, even Christian men and women, often forget that God is omniscient. He knows and has always known every detail about everything that will happen at any second of the past, present and future. Exactly how He does this, in the light of the many associated ramifications, is beyond our understanding. Yet we know He does this.

It follows He knew that America would need a leader to defeat the British and establish one of the most powerful nations on earth. So, in the courts of His infinite knowledge, He made sure that a man was born who would do exactly what was needed. Thus on February 22, 1732, in Westmoreland, Virginia, British America, George Washington was born. He died December 14, 1799 (aged 67) at Mount Vernon, Virginia, U.S. (Courtesy Google)
Much the same can be said of Mahatma Ghandi and Winston Churchill. They were exactly where they were needed at exactly the right time in history.Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was likewise born at the right time and in the right place. He was raised up by God to lead the Black people of South Africa to freedom. 
He was also raised up by God to bring about reconciliation between all the people of South Africa. Few men in South Africa have commanded as much respect from the people of this land as this man. In fact, few men in the World have commanded international respect the way he did. Thus it was that on 5th December 2013, he departed this life.

You and I have been greatly privileged by God to see extraordinary things in this world because of science and technology. We have also been privileged to live in the same era as this man who so impressed the international community. 
As a Christian, I thank the Lord for this singular honour. No, Mandela was not God. He was not perfect. However, some of the things he said and did in this life, are inspirational and might well have been taken from Scripture. Why not? If God could achieve His purposes through Nebuchadnezzar, why not through Mandela?
Mandela- Captain of RSA
Francois Pienaar - Captain of Springboks
Rugby World Cup 1995 
Jesus told a parable in Luke 19 to illustrate what was expected from the likes of you and I. 12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. 13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, 

Occupy till I come. Luke 19:12-13 KJV An alternate version translates this phrase “Put this money to work until I come back.” A third translation is, “Operate with this until I return.” 
Throughout his long life Mandela certainly did. It was only old age and increasing frailty which slowed him down. A life invested in South Africa for South Africans. I salute you sir! I pray the Lord will be merciful to him.
Shalom

Jim & Phyllida Strickland 



Matt 10:8
Freely you received, Freely give
Time with Jesus – 16 Dec 2013
Matt 10:8
Freely you received, Freely give
©
These devotionals are the intellectual property of Jim Strickland and copyright protected. You are welcome to copy and distribute them to anyone provided it is for non-commercial Christian purposes
©
INTRODUCTION
DAILY LIGHT EVENING SCRIPTURES
OCCUPY TILL I COME
Some years ago, I read a story about a man who had been all over the world on a ship. He’d been unable to disembark. He had no means of identification. No birth certificate, no ID book and no passport. How he managed to get on the ship was not explained. At every port he visited, the authorities had refused to admit him. He was what we could best describe as a non-person. What happened to any family members, who might have identified him, was not stated. Nothing was mentioned about his life aboard the ship. Presumably the captain or owners must have given him work of some sort so that he could eat and drink. It was a sorry tale with little prospects of anything changing.
There is a vague similarity with this wandering man and the life of a Christian on planet earth. Sure we have passports which enable us to travel round and see various places. But we are not really at home wherever we go. In a way our status is similar to the old Chorus: This world is not my home I’m just a passing through. / My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue. / The angels beckon me from heaven’s open door. / And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore!
This is part of the greater problem Christians face. We are in the world but not of the world. There is a clear distinction. When we have had glimpses of the glory of God and the splendours of His Kingdom, the things of this world become somewhat tasteless. In his letter to the Philippians Paul wrote: 23 I'm torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. Philippians 1:23 NLT It’s easy to identify with this and look forward to leaving this world and being with Jesus. But that would do nothing for the Kingdom of God. If every Christian suddenly vanished from the face of the earth, who would be left to take to Gospel to the Nations? Current “rapture of the church” theory espouses this thinking.  Christians can “escape the tribulation”. Personally, I don’t think they are right. In which case they are in for a very rude awakening. I’d love to think I’m wrong!
What we should do as Christians, is live as though He is coming back tomorrow. One of the best pieces of advice I’ve heard is that we should live as though He is coming back tomorrow and prepare to serve Him here indefinitely. Andrew Murray in a book written about a hundred years ago put it this way. He said that if his daily task was to plant a tree. Even if he knew Jesus was coming back tomorrow, he would start the day by planting a tree! Jesus, in the parable of the King and three servants used the phrase: 13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. Luke 19:13 KJV Occupy till I come. It’s what He wants!
Jim & Phyllida
Strickland

19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household,
Ephesians 2:19 NIV

They say I’m a South African; and I was born a Brit.
But somehow these Nationalities just do not seem to fit.
It’s stated in my Passport’s and so it must be right.
And with these two Authorities, I do not wish to fight.
But sadly, with these passports, there’s little one can do.
Except visit some countries who really don’t want you.
They only want your dollars; They’ll settle for your pounds.
But if you are a nuisance, you’ll soon be homeward bound.
It’s called the tourist industry. “Please come and see our land.
But when you’ve spent your money you have to understand
The quicker you get ready, and you have gone away,
Another foreign tourist will visit us next day.”
I’ve got another passport which Jesus Christ supplied.                Ephesians 2:19 NIV
He’s given me a heart of flesh and hidden deep inside,
This Diplomatic Passport, is all I’ll ever need,
To get me into heaven. It’s recognised indeed!
I’ve got the right of access, to the city of my God.                    Hebrews 12:22-23 NLT
To tramp the Holy City, in the steps my Lord has trod.
I’m sorry, I can’t show it. It’s hidden from your view.
But when I’ve started doing the things He told me to,
You’ll see things in abundance as clear as any bell,
The fruit I’d be displaying, if I was bound for Hell.
The fact is I am righteous! It’s like an overcoat.
My Master gave it to me when I gave Him my “vote”.
He said that I may wear it. It fits me like a glove.
And it will by my covering, while walking in His love.
He’s also given promises that still must come to pass.
So I am truly confident and just as bold as brass;
When I confess that someday, the Lord will give to me,
Everything He’s promised back to antiquity!                Hebrews 11:13 NLT
His diplomatic passport will never once expire.
Not while Christ my Saviour is the One Whom I desire.
No one else can steal it while it’s in my chest.
While I serve the Master, I know that I’ll be blessed.
I’ve still got one ambition, one purpose and one goal.
To fight against the passions which war against my soul.       1 Peter 2:11 ESV
From darkness I’ve been rescued and this I know for sure.
Jesus will assist me to keep my lifestyle pure!             Colossians 1:13 NLT
Jim Strickland
Written
16th December 2012

22 No, you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to countless thousands of angels in a joyful gathering. 23 You have come to the assembly of God's firstborn children, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God Himself, who is the judge over all things. You have come to the spirits of the righteous ones in heaven who have now been made perfect.
Hebrews 12:22-23 NLT


13 All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it. They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth.
Hebrews 11:13 NLT


20 But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for Him to return as our Saviour. 21 He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like His own, using the same power with which He will bring everything under His control.
Philippians 3:20-21 NLT


13 For He has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of His dear Son,
Colossians 1:13 NLT

11 Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.
1 Peter 2:11 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment