Thursday, June 30, 2011

THE GAIN BY PAIN!

I can’t remember what I did in nineteen fifty eight.
I got to school with plenty time and wasn’t running late.
And then our dear headmaster, called me to the front.
He spoke about behaviour and about the stunt,
Which I had been involved in with one or two school friends.
And he was going to deal with us by warming up our ends.
It wasn’t done in rancour. He didn’t lose his smile.
That thought did not occur to him. It never was his style.
And so in front of all the class, he quickly drew his cane.
And let me say for certain he was good at bringing pain.
The reason why he did it has vanished from my mind.
I couldn’t justify it. Perhaps I’m old and blind.
But I can well remember the stinging in my rear.
But since I was a teenager, I didn’t shed a tear.
One thing that I must say about that grand old man.
When the job was over his big heart overran.
He didn’t show resentment. I think he never could.
But always said politely, “I did it for your good!”
The picture isn’t perfect but that is like our God.
He knows just what is needed and then takes up His rod.
He never is vindictive but when He wields the cane,
It’s always for a reason that’s very, very plain.
It isn’t very pleasant. In truth, it’s rather sore.
But never will he crush us though He must strike some more.
He does it ‘cause He loves us. We cannot get away,
With anything we ever do, or think about or say.
This surely is quite proper. He makes the rear end sting.
But more to serve His purpose that righteousness may ring,
Throughout His holy people. He wants to get us right.
And walk in true obedience that’s proper in His sight.
So if your rear end’s stinging you’d better ask Him why?
He never will chastise you so much to make you die.
He has a special reason. Perhaps you pulled a stunt
That in His Holy wisdom, He thought was an affront.
To everything He’s taught us. It doesn’t work that way.
But don’t make the assumption He won’t do it today.
So when He says, “Bend over, reach down and touch your toes.”
You know that it is coming for that is how it goes.
And when it is all finished, I’m sure you will agree,
He worked for my advantage in disciplining me!
Jim Strickland – written Thursday, 30 June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment